Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Welcome to G.I.F.T. blog

Welcome to the G.I.F.T. blog. For those of you who have not participated in a blog before, the point is to post comments. In an active blog, there is just as much interesting conversation in the comments as in the article. I like the idea of a blog so that we can continue the discussion after the meetings. To participate, you need to register and pick a user name. Blogs can be viewed publicly, so many people try to use an anonymous user name for privacy. Let's hope that people do not try to hide behind user names so that they can leave annoying comments, but that is possible and happens on other blogs.

The first step is picking a name. I use 'Odin' since my boat is called 'OdinQuest' and I am a fan of old Norse literature. On this blog you should expect to see Frigg. If they could write on the internet, you may also see Tor, Solveig and Loki. Perhaps you can guess who is who. Odin is the father of the gods and spends his literary life acquiring wisdom to forestall the doom of the world at the hand of the frost and fire giants. That fits my personality, my family is doomed unless I can forestall disaster by the hand of a fickle economy and rabid social secularism by acquiring wisdom and defending my household.

I am used to blogs with pictures, so I will try to have them too. This picture is of the Death of Balder, a famous Old Norse story. There are some reasons to think that the story was influenced by christanity. Which would be an interesting topic to discuss some time, if you are a fan of Old Norse literature.

So, please pick a name, register, and comment this article to tell us why (or not if you want to make it more challenging) and let's see if we can guess who is who at a meeting.

3 comments:

  1. This looks great, well done Odin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have invited Frigg, MoJo, Napton's, ThreeKidsandaMinivan and MommaPitt to be co-blogers. Any one is welcome. There was a suggestion that I just give every one my blog pass word. Sharing passwords is not considered a safe thing to do, so I'd rather just authorize people as co-blogers. All you need is an e-mail address. I hope some one tries it to see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, This is Frigg. I am finally on and doing this all by myself, with Odin breathing down my neck.

    ReplyDelete