Sunday, November 30, 2008

Ideas for GIFT evenings

I understand that there are no current plans for future Wed night meetings. The Sunday meetings are still viable topics for the blog. I'll open up this entry to discussion of future activities.

Frigga was watching and suggested something about family Christmas traditions. However she fell asleep while I was trying to get this picture loaded so I'll have to wing it on my own. My family always opened presents from each other on Christmas eve and then opened presents from Santa on Christmas day. I tend to be an anti materialist and do not want any thing that I can not eat else the house fills up with stuff. Frigga's relatives have other thoughts and the basement is so full of toys for the kids that it is hard to walk around down there some times. I see the MoJo's blog said they made Lefsa for the first time. I actually thought every one at ZLC made lefsa. One of several reasons I joined this church was that they sell lefsa :).

2 comments:

  1. We try to not be materialistic also, and sometimes succeed, sometimes not. However, now that the kids are getting older we will do 3 presents for each (small of course as our house is not large enough to hold what they already have) representing the gifts from the 3 wise men. My sister in law is also starting the tradition of baking a birthday cake for Jesus so the little ones in our family can truly relate to his birth. And yes, yum yum lefse! Anyone ever had klub or kringla? I miss our Weds nights already! Take care everyone, Amy and co.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I was wondering about your family Christmas traditions. I am sure some families are very intentional about what they do. I would be interested in discussing what you do, how and why you chose that tradition to include in your family celebration.

    For example, My folks come for a weekend and we make lefse and cookies. The kids this year helped by rolling the dough into balls. As they get older, hopefully they will do more jobs.

    On Christmas eve, we have always gone to the 5:00ish candle light service, eaten a Swedish meatballs and lutefisk dinner, read the Christmas story, and opened family gifts on Christmas eve. I don't know why we continue to eat lutefisk but we do (norwegian tradition I guess--one does get use to it)

    When Olaf's mom is here with us, she makes a Red Velvet Birthday cake for Jesus. It is wonderful to have his birthday party.

    I am also interested in how you spend the weeks prior to Christmas preparing for our Savior's birth. I have the book "The Adventure of Christmas" that I am planning to use this year to help us all keep focused on Jesus.

    This is just a start, would love to hear how you all celebrate the season.

    ReplyDelete