Sunday, November 9, 2008

Nov 19 - Professing Jesus



Who Was Jesus? (RZIM Critical Questions Discussion Guides) (Paperback)by Scot McKnigh (Author), Ravi K. Zacharias (Editor), Daniell Durant (Editor).

Nov 5 we discussed chapter 3 - Rejecting Jesus (John 10:14-40) and chapter 4 - Neutralizeing Jesus (John 18:28-40).

On the 19th we will cover chapter 5 - Professing Jesus (Luke 6:43-7:10) and chapter 6 - Following Jesus (Matthew 6:25-34, 7:7-12).

Luke 6:43-45 addresses the old question of works v.s. faith. This clearly suggests that with out works there is no faith. Granted it does not say exactly the scale of works. Each according to their ability seems appropriate.

Luke 7:9 hints at the future mission of Christianity to the Gentiles and the virtue of humility
It's easy to say do works and be humble however I think it is the innate character of the heart, unprompted by thoughts of 'am I worthy' and 'what do I need to do to be worthy' that counts.

Luke 6

A Tree and Its Fruit


43"No good tree bears bad fruit, nor again does a bad tree bear good fruit; 44for each tree is known by its own fruit. Figs are not gathered from thorns, nor are grapes picked from a bramble bush. 45The good person out of the good treasure of the heart produces good, and the evil person out of evil treasure produces evil; for it is out of the abundance of the heart that the mouth speaks.


The Two Foundations


46"Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I tell you? 47I will show you what someone is like who comes to me, hears my words, and acts on them. 48That one is like a man building a house, who dug deeply and laid the foundation on rock; when a flood arose, the river burst against that house but could not shake it, because it had been well built.£ 49But the one who hears and does not act is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. When the river burst against it, immediately it fell, and great was the ruin of that house."



3 comments:

  1. Naptons are in!
    On Nov. 19, we are covering Chapter 15 until the end of the book. This is our last meeting, so the appendices are helpful as well. Consider appendices A, B, and C. Would you use these statements/questions or rework them a bit? Men strive for repect and women for love. Remember the motto: "If I can't say anything respectful, I won't say anything at all." This works in our homes, work, and society. See you all Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pittenger's are in. I'm a rooky at all of this, so you may have to bear with me through this learning process. I've figured out how to comment, but not how to write my own article. Any help on this?

    ReplyDelete